Thursday, April 8, 2010

Never Be Afraid To Ask

Several years ago, I was sitting on the front row in an Executive MBA classroom. Maryann, a few rows back, was explaining a concept related to the application of technology in her work as a Business Systems Consultant.

As Maryann spoke I recognized repetition of a certain TLA.[1] In fact she used this TLA so frequently that I began to suspect that it might be integral to what she was explaining. The problem was: I had no idea what those three letters stood for!

Being no match for Maryann’s technological expertise, I naturally did what you might do. I quietly leaned to the woman on my left and asked: “What does ‘TLA’ stand for?” She shrugged and whispered: “I don’t know.” I then shifted to my right and asked the same question of the man sitting there. Same response.

Next I did something that took great courage, and defies all human logic: I raised my hand and asked the question. Maryann graciously obliged, and much to my surprise, nearly seventy percent of the classroom simultaneously expressed appreciation for their newfound knowledge. And I thought I was the only one who didn’t understand!

Here I was, sitting in a room full of brilliant people, and no one dared to ask! Why is it that we sometimes risk ignorance in order to maintain appearances?

I have, of course, since learned that the best and brightest people we encounter in life are never afraid to ask for clarification when they don’t understand something. Hmm, I guess maybe that’s how they came to be the best and brightest among us!



[1] A ‘TLA’ is a three letter acronym for ‘Three Letter Acronym’. I credit my friend Steve Outhouse for sharing this clever tidbit with me. I use it here generically, for demonstration purposes.

1 comment:

  1. You know, that's a common thing among we adults in our society. People are either waiting for the other guy to speak up or pretending to know it all. I used to be the kind of guy that would want to figure things out for myself rather than ask questions, with the intention to maintain my poise. It's always right to ask questions no matter how silly it appears. In most cases, you're always glad you did. And even if you sound stupid, who cares anyway. At least you get to celebrate the personal feeling of being courageous enough to speak up. I'm learning better in my recent life. AfterSchool Scholarships

    ReplyDelete