Thursday, May 13, 2010

Toastmasters & the Church

In January of this year I made two commitments to myself: I would join a Thursday morning Toastmasters group, and I would join a Sunday morning church service.

My first morning at Toastmasters a gentleman with a broad smile walked directly toward me, recognized me as a guest, shook my hand, and warmly welcomed me. He then took me into the room and elegantly introduced me to others who would soon become my friends. I was addressed by name and treated as an honoured guest. That first day, I was treated to a hot breakfast, offered an opportunity to speak, and at the end of the meeting the group genuinely wanted to hear how I felt about being in their presence.

Within only a few short weeks I’ve been invited to lunch with one of my new friends, and coffee with others. Another called Easter Sunday to invite me to join him for dinner. The Toastmasters organization actively explores and builds on the individual gifting of each new member. I even have a mentor to help me grow. At each meeting I’m encouraged (and delighted) to serve the group, and I’m learning how to love others.

This morning at Toastmasters I had the distinct privilege of delivering a short message entitled: I Met Jesus in Kitgum.

I’ve been following Jesus for over twenty years. I have served on staff at a large local church and have a Masters degree in Christian Studies. I know that the Church truly is the body of Christ. I love the stated vision of the little congregation that meets on Sunday mornings in my new neighbourhood, and to their credit, they do have great coffee, but like all who are created in the image of God, I long to be valued, to belong, and to contribute.

As I wait in hope for the church, I praise God that his Spirit is welcome at Toastmasters!

1 comment:

  1. It isn't uncommon for Christians to think we understand what it means to welcome, embrace, encourage and mentor. Too bad it doesn't look like what you described at Toast Masters. We have much to learn.

    ReplyDelete