Friday, July 9, 2010

Do You Require Technical Assistance?

I have an absolutely brilliant friend named Eric. He is extraordinarily intuitive and has a natural gift for business. When I first met him about five years ago – among other qualifications – he had recently graduated from a program in information technology.

One day, when working on a project together, I was having difficulty with my computer and asked Eric what I should do. When he said he didn’t know, I responded in mock shock: “What did they teach you in school?!”

Eric told me he only learned two things:
1. Almost any computer problem can be solved by rebooting; and
2. Never patronize the client.

Eric has come a long way since then. I have had the distinct pleasure of working with him again over the past few weeks. When unable to view a website update in my browser, I received this response to my request for assistance:

“I would suggest clearing your cache, your cookies, restarting, turning off your computer, turning it back on, trying in a different browser, typing in the address manually, trying with and without the "www", changing your internet provider, calling the geek squad, and buying a new computer, not necessarily in that order.”

Of course, Eric was right – and I hardly felt patronized at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment